Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Here's a summary and some parting
thoughts.

Tom wrote:
> For de-soldering I use a de-solder iron with a squeeze bulb on it from Radio
> Shack, works great.

I've got one of those. In fact, it was the first tool I tried. It wouldn't melt
the solder on the small pad for the positive side of the cap (a small pad with
a plated thru hole).

Tom DGN wrote:
> I'm not sure about the MSR2000 ... Motorola uses multi-layer PC boards in
> most of their radios.

Yep, they do in the newer ones, especially the portables. I've had experience
with 4 and 6 layer boards but this one looks to be just a plain vanilla 2 layer
board.

Milt wrote:
> Wattage is of less importance than tip temperature and size.

I tend to agree but for soldering/desoldering components to/from large
groundplanes wattage does come into play.

Long story short: I have a very old soldering iron that I was given back in the
60s. The wattage rating faded away long ago, but it has a massive tip. I use it
for soldering coax shields to PL-259s. It does that job in no time flat and
doesn't damage the insulation. I've also used it for replacing helical coils on
Micor/Mitrek radios and it works great for that job too. I'm pretty sure that
particular tool would melt a hole through the fender of a 52 Hudson. :-)

Personally, I've found that I get better results using a little hotter iron for
a shorter period of time. The joints look better and the components stay cooler
than if I had used a cooler iron for a longer time. YMMV. I think I may have
first heard about this technique from building Heathkits back in the day. Also,
I believe Skipp mentioned this technique in one of his responses (maybe not on
this particular thread though).

Skipp wrote:
> Yes (Motorola used a higher temperature solder on the MSR2000 units)

Well, ok then. Since I've got a few more MSR2000 receiver and exciter boards to
fix, I guess I'll start hunting for a tool more suitable for the job, i.e., one
with a higher temperature and more mass. Thanks to all who responded.

73 and aloha, Eric KH6CQ