Side-comment: As a pilot and IT person, I've been taking tests for both at
professional testing locations like ProMetric now for at least a decade.

With the removal of the Code, I've always wondered why the FCC hasn't gone the
way the FAA did, and dropped the need for the VE's altogether.  Just send
people to the various "testing centers" around the world, and be done with it.

Even most of my other volunteer organizations have moved the majority of their
testing online (to their own websites, but those are open-book tests... so no
need to have a test proctor, like the professional testing facilities have, and
video cameras recording you).

--
Nate Duehr
n...@natetech.com