On 02/29/2016 09:16 PM, Bob Summerwill wrote:
[...]
> * Samsung KNOX, using Trustonic's TEE (
> https://www.trustonic.com/technology/trusted-execution-environment) which
> sounds much like the notorious Intel ME to me.    Does anybody here have
> experience of Trustonic TEE, and can confirm that. or explain what it does
> better than me?    I think it's more proprietary software on-silicon,
which
> constrains what you can run on your own device.
[..]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_execution_environment#Implementations

Most ARM chips have TrustZone or some other TEE. Most Intel systems have
a Mangement Engine.  Most AMD systems have a Platform Security
Processor. There are open source implementations of TEE, like OP-TEE.
TEEs protect 'untrusted' software stacks (Windows, Linux, Android,
etc.). It can be helpful for security, and may also be misused by
attackers to abuse security and privacy. It is 'notorious' if you want
to reconfigure a system in a way that the vendor would consider
something more a security attack than a normal use case of a consumer. :-(