Hi,

I was playing with resistors on the usb port with the i9305 (galaxy s3)
device in order to get the UART serial console working. Then I gave up
and took the wires out and flashed replicant to the device. The device
would not boot. Then I installed twrp with lineage os to the device.
Again, it would not boot. After that I found this "stock" ROM [1] for
the device and flashed it. The device booted now! After this I flashed
replicant and it would boot also. Why is stock ROM flashing needed in
order to get Replicant booting? What thing does the stock ROM do
differently?

I think I experienced this same issue also some years ago with
cyanogenmod and the fix was also to install the stock rom and then after
that flash cyanogenmod.

Joonas

[1]
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development-i9305/rom-samsung-stock-4-4-4-rom-collection-t3124027