> Also, wouldn't Guix (and probably other FSDG-compliant distributions)
> have the same issue with packaging pip and npm (Guix contains both)?

This is a controversial issue. The percentage of nonfree software in
repos of language-specific package managers is low, although not zero
(with exceptions). Another issue is that the quality of packages there
is often awful. Unfortunately, a system without such package managers is
unusable for a huge number of tasks that do not by themselves require
any proprietary code. Hyperbola is an example of a distro that removed
these... and honestly, I lost interest in it (although this is also
because of other things it removed)