Le samedi 23 octobre 2021 à 21:53 -0300, Adonay Felipe Nogueira via
Replicant a écrit :

> I know little about this, since I find XMPP to be superior and easier
> host ([1][2][3]), specially because all the main features are already
> provided with packages from the main repositories of free/libre
> distros
> (including Debian with only "main" component, if you want to go with
> that route), besides the fact that so much stuff still goes through
> matrix.org.

For hosting of XMPP or matrix server, I am using www.freedombox.org,
which uses Debian packages, on an Olinuxino Lime2, which I understood
runs with free software only. This requires zero configuration and
maintenance of ejabberd or synapse (the freedombox itself requires some
maintenance). Unfortunately, file upload is not enabled for ejabberd.

I firstly tried XMPP but several of my family members have iphones. I
tried ChatSecure, Monal and Siskin on them, they all have serious
problems for basic operation, one of the biggest is unreliable
notifications, and they are too poorly displayed when not missing.

The only other XMPP client I know is Snikket, but I would need a server
to try it.

> > In the Free Sofware Directory, I only found Fluffychat as a
> > submission
> > in progress so I decided to try it. I installed it from F-Droid on
> > my
> > GT-9300 with Replicant 6.0 0004rc5, the first thing required to set
> > is
> > the matrix server but whether I set it to matrix.org or to my own
> > server, it says there is no response from the server remains blocked
> > there.
>
> I hope that these clients don't require Push Notification user agents
> be installed.
>
> I know it might be off, but to give an example from XMPP and applying
> it
> to other protocols, theorically, one could provide a Push
> Notifications
> service using some server-side software ([4]), but practically no user
> agent allows you to use a graphical interface to manually specify to
> which server/service you want to connect to, and those which do, still
> assume you want to use Google's.
>
> Replicant cannot include most Push Notification user agents since
> their
> assumed use of Google services together with Google's proven history
> of
> unlimited abuse of the Android-based features ([5]), is a combination
> which results in spyware or malware ([6]). The same applies to a
> popular
> so-called "replacement" to Google's services.

Since you seem to have some knowledge of this, how is Conversations from
F-Droid handling notifications?

I receive notifications well on it, whether the XMPP server is
conversations.im or my own ejabberd. Does it mean these two servers are
providing a push notification service?

Besides, are you using OMEMO on Conversations? Are you aware of any
guideline how to handle OMEMO fingerprints properly? Or are you using
OpenPGP?