  > An API key is an example of secret information. It is a popular
  > approach in the web these days for someone making a web request
  > to identify oneself. It is especially popular in services as software
  > substitutes. Technically it is usually a long random string that needs
  > to be included in each web request.

Are these keys also called "application keys"?  I have heard of that
term.  Each application is supposed to have and send its own key,
different from that of every other application.

The requirement to conceal each application key prohibits free
applications.  Clearly a requirement for an application key is
unacceptable.  Maybe our other criteria make that clear, or maybe not.
We should make sure it is clear.

  > Perhaps this wording would be better if we remove
  > the second line, keeping only the first line ("Can be used as the
  > package's canonical source in a free package manager").

That may be correct, but it is not sufficient on its own, because it
is too abstract to give a concrete picture.  What are the concrete
requirements for the "canonical source" in a free package manager?
I don't know.

Maybe your full proposal would be good, if suppliemented with a
concrete explanation of "API key".