On 2024-02-05 12:33, Richard Stallman wrote:
[...]

> In Savannah's entry [1] I saw a reference to EFF's "Best Practices for > Online Service Providers." [2] Is it still appropriate to look to EFF?

Not on issues about free software.  But sometimes yes on other issues.

The EFF has never veen an advocate of software freedom, so its views
are systematically skewed towards accepting nonfree software.  We
should not treat it as anything more than "some organization which has
opinions".

However, its statements occasionally raise issues which are worth
thinking about.  There is no harm looking there for interesting
questions, just don't assume their answers are wise answers.  It's
possible that the EFF's "best practices" are wise, as far as they go,
for avoiding other kinds of mistreatment.

I will look.

xref: https://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreedomOrganizations

"EFF, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, is a non-profit, non-partisan organization working in the public interest to protect fundamental civil liberties, including privacy and freedom of expression, in the arena of computers and the Internet."

Is this text still appropriate?

--
Jing Luo
About me: https://jing.rocks/about/