Basically, in Maven the difference between "version releases" and "build releases" is designated in the version, not in the artifact id.

/jaxme/jars/jaxme-<build-date>.jar

and

/jaxme/jars/jaxme-<version-no>.jar

It is important to have your artifactId's match across all versions of an artifact, otherwise they aren't the same "artifact", so

/jaxme/jars/jaxme-incubator-x.x.jar

does not share the same artifact id as

/jaxme/jars/jaxme-SNAPSHOT.jar

to have them match it would have to be

/jaxme/jars/jaxme-incubator-SNAPSHOT.jar

So, if your going to be distributing a "build release" I recommend the naming strategy where all artifactID's match. If the jaxme project is planning to leave the incubator anytime in the future, I would highly recommend you not use the word "incubator" in the artifact id. My personal opinion added to this is that its the same way we don't use "jakarta" in in projects like the Jakarta Commons, because some aspects Jakarta is a Foundry. Incubator is also a Foundry.

My future planned strategy to support "build-releases" is to have build releases (daily, weekly builds etc) not be present on:

/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

but to actually be present on:

/www/cvs.apache.org/builds/java-repository

Then, to actually use this approach with Maven you'd have to add the cvs.apache.org repository to your Maven client, this makes project dependencies hairy in the Current release of Maven because the contents wouldn't be present at ibiblio. We still have much to decide to do and infrastructure to setup to have this build location.

My current strategy in this case is to have the build-releases in the same project directory as the version releases, then they are all rsynced with ibiblio properly. This is simply because build releases already existed in the repository when we moved the apache contents of ibiblio back to Apache.

What is the status of jaxme in the incubator? When do they anticipate an official release?

Maybe this is a reason enough to push forward the development of the daily/weekly/... build repository. Allowing any more build-releasing in the dist/java-repository is a sensitive issue when it comes to mirroring. It would be wise for us to stop doing this asap. This is probably a good location where I could use assistance from repository folks in working out these details.

-Mark

robert burrell donkin wrote:
hi mark

the release in question was made whilst jaxme was in the incubator. AIUI it's an important requirement that it's clear that these are not official ASF releases but incubation releases. the most direct way to do this seemed (to me) to be continue to use the naming convention used by incubation releases.

- robert