I have solely focused on a routes-based app, so I don't know how much
changes are involved when using traversal.

But the proposed changes really clean up that part of the API.

IMHO the needed changes are mostly "superficial" in that one has to
change the signature of functions and maybe some ZCML.
The underlying logic remains the same.
As long as they are not fault silent it should be straight forward.

I would also like to throw in my suggestion for a function signature
(based on Chris Rossi's):

def context_factory(request, routes_match=None):
    environ = request.environ
    # blah blah blah that uses environ

The benefit would be that the same signature works for traversal and
URL dispatch. By using this signature:

def context_factory(request, routes_match):
    environ = request.environ
    # blah blah blah that uses environ

one could immediately indicate that this is a routes based context factory.

In any case, if/when this moves forward I can make time to test and/or
implement stuff.

         -- Stephan