On 7/8/09 2:54 AM, Iain Duncan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 02:36 -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
>> We don't have a convention for "flash".  I've been remiss in seeing how the
>> other frameworks implement this, but I *think* something like this would be
>> closest:
>>
>> return render_template_to_response('some/template.pt', message='Updated')
>>
>> And in the template:

> Thanks Chris. The convention in the other frameworks that I've used is
> that the message is 'flashed' when handling the update from a post, and
> displayed after the redirect, to avoid the problem when a user hits
> resend after a post that should not occur twice. So usually the flash
> helper is a simple utility to set, read, and wipe a session variable or
> cookie. I guess bfg is not making any assumptions about session vars or
> cookies though?

Since BFG depends on no particular persistence mechanism, BFG has no built-in
session support, although I often use this pair of packages to get it:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/repoze.browserid/0.1
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/repoze.session/0.2

Of course any sessioning system would work just as well (ala Beaker).

> If you are thinking of adding such a thing to bfg, I'll hold off on my
> own ( or use a really crappy one ).

No, I'm not.

> Can we set a simple cookie with
> webob maybe as an ultralight version that doesn't depend on a particular
> method of storing session vars?

Sure, although I'm not sure that requires any particular API support from BFG.

- C