HI Darryl

Here's a couple of quick tips and these where a big win for us.

1.  Memcache page output heavily, and  if possible serve the pages
without even starting up or initialising bfg.
We found we could do a cold startup and serve a page from cache in
200ms cached page from memcache in 30ms. In this scenario you don't
want to import any thirdparty libraries, just use what comes out of
the box from appengine. (  ie importing any module not part of the
core gae env always seems to take longer.)   Whereas just starting bfg
before doing anything could take between 3-4 sec and on a bad day a
lot longer.  Then if its not in the cache start bfg and process the
page request.

2.  Defer loading/importing stuff where possible.  For instance we use
formish/schemaish for forms.  But if no one is logged in
then we don't need to do the formish/schema imports.  If someone is
logged in then we do import formish.  That way we only incur import
costs when we actually use things. This is hard to control with zcml
and a lot easier to do if you are directly registering things in
python.  Also it means you don't have the cost of parsing zcml as
well.

Rgds

>>> Iain