Hi Mike,
        Please find comments in-line below.

        Cheers,
        Don

>Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:26:50 -0600
>From: Mike Gerdts <mgerdts at gmail.com>
>
>On 2/13/07, Don Cragun <don.cragun at sun.com> wrote:
>> the standard allows for option to be specified when crontab is invoked
>> to add a cron job.  So, something like:
>>                 crontab [-H HOME_value] [-L LOGNAME_value] \
>>                         [-P PATH_value] [-S SHELL_value] \
>>                         [-T TZ_value] [file]
>> would be legal and the values specified could be stored as comments in
>> the crontab file.
>
>A read of the crontab man page for UNIX 03 at unix.org suggests the following:
>
>1) The file format presented via an editor to crontab(1) is fixed.
>2) How the file is stored is not defined.
>3) The definition of how the time is interpreted is not defined.
>
>As such, it seems as though the additional options listed above could
>be stored in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/user.cfg (or similar) to be
>created to hold these extra values.  Last time I checked, similar
>auxiliary files are created when BSM auditing is enabled (user.au), so
>there is a precedent for adding extra files in that directory.

The current proposal wants the setting of TZ to apply to all lines
following it in the crontab file and allows TZ to be set differently
for different lines in the crontab file.  Using something like
/var/spool/cron/crontabs/user.cfg is only appropriate if it applies to
all lines in that user's crontab file.

Note that if installing an application adds a crontab entry to root's
crontab file, you probably don't want that entry to be shifted several
hours by a prior non-standard entry in the original crontab file.
Wouldn't it be better if setting the TZ value only applied to a single
following entry rather than to all following entries?