Just did about 30 refreshes and it always comes back web1, never web2. (request URL is entirely different, in a different domain in face; it is returning the expected fully qualified local host name).

I'm not sure what brand/model the load balancer is. I'll put a call into our hosting service to verify that. I have confirmed with them that sticky sessions are enabled on the load balancer and the above test seems to confirm that.

Shouldn't using the cluster session store result in bouncing from one server to the other NOT being an issue? Isn't the whole point of clustered session to ensure that no matter which server serves the request, the session is available correctly? Or have I missed something?

Andrew

Andrew Fritz wrote:
We are actually doing basically that on every page of the site. I put
the local host name in the footer. That is how I've confirmed. I'll try
again.

Let me get the model number on the load balancer and reply with that also.

Andrew

Serge Knystautas wrote:

Both the add and remove behavior you're describing is exactly what would
happen if the load balancing was not sticky across 2 servers.  What kind
of load balancer are you using?

I would try to confirm by creating a JSP like this:

<%=java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostName()%>

and hit it repeatedly to confirm that stickiness is working.  I don't
know the PHP syntax offhand to do the same, but just something to print
the IP address of the server you hit.