I am running resin pro 3.1.6 with db persisted session.

Can anyone help me understand the following data I am seeing?

If I count the number of rows in the db in the persistent_session table
and get the SessionActiveCount from JMX for my server, I get 2 different
numbers.  I believe it could make sense for the numbers to be different
for instance after a restart... and java has not yet needed to load all
the sessions back into memory... but in this case the rows in the DB
would be more then the count returned by java.  What I am seeing is the
other way around.  My numbers reported by JAVA are significantly higher
then the number of rows I have persistently backing them.

How could this be?  Am I misunderstanding the expected behavior?

thanks
Eric