On 6/15/2011 3:30 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 06/15/2011 01:25 PM, Aaron Freeman wrote:
>> Trying this:
>> http://www.caucho.com/resin-4.0/reference.xtp#resinMovedPermanently
>>
>> Use case:  I need to do a 301 redirect for all links to http://blog.X/*
>> to http://www.X/blog/
>>
>> I found this documentation which is very similar, but does a forward:
>> http://www.caucho.com/resin-4.0/admin/http-rewrite.xtp#Forwardbasedonhostname
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1) Does MovedPermanently do a 301?  If not, this is all moot.
> It uses HttpServletResponse.SC_MOVED_PERMANENTLY which is a 301.

Perfect.

>> 2) I don't think MovedPermanently works at the cluster level -- thinking
>> it may only work at the host level, making this use case not possible.
>> Can someone verify that?  Any reason why it couldn't work at the cluster
>> level in future releases?
> You can always use<host-default>  to apply a rule across all virtual hosts.

Interesting, I will give that a shot.

> URL dispatching is owned by the virtual host. The cluster level doesn't
> understand URLs, so it doesn't make sense to dispatch a URL in the
> cluster level.

Does that mean the example,

http://www.caucho.com/resin-4.0/admin/http-rewrite.xtp#Forwardbasedonhostname,
is fundamentally different then?  Maybe it's doing something other than
"dispatching" for Forward to work by MovedPermanently to not work?  I can see
why both wouldn't work at the cluster level and was surprised to see that
example, actually, but just assumed that if Forward could work then
MovedPermanently