Hi all,

Can someone please do me a favour and check that I am setting my timeouts correctly in the below code. I'm trying to get my code to timeout after roughly 2 seconds & not retry. But what I'm seeing is that the code sticks to the HttpClient defaults of retrying 5 times and using a 10 second timeout. Here's the appropriate bit of code:

  private static DefaultHttpClient httpClient;

  private void createClient() {
    httpClient = new DefaultHttpClient()
    HttpParams httpParams = new BasicHttpParams();
    HttpConnectionParams.setConnectionTimeout(httpParams, 2000);
    HttpConnectionParams.setSoTimeout(httpParams, 2000);
httpClient.setHttpRequestRetryHandler(new DefaultHttpRequestRetryHandler(0, false));
    httpClient.setParams(httpParams);
  }

  private ClientExecutor getClientExecutor() {
    return new ApacheHttpClient4Executor(httpClient);
  }

private ILoggingService createLoggingService(ClassPathXmlApplicationContext applicationContext) { return ProxyFactory.create(ILoggingService.class, loggingTaskSettings.getRestAddress(), getClientExecutor());
  }

When I attempt to use this code, I'm always receive and exception like below, 5 times with 10 seconds between each one:

2011-09-16 15:34:28,239 - ERROR [com.oobjects.kbroker.logging.LoggingTask:147] - java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connection to http://blade304.openobjects.com:8080 refused java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connection to http://blade304:8080 refused at org.jboss.resteasy.client.core.ClientInvoker.invoke(ClientInvoker.java:108) at org.jboss.resteasy.client.core.ClientProxy.invoke(ClientProxy.java:72)
    at $Proxy54.logMultiple(Unknown Source)
at com.oobjects.kbroker.logging.LoggingTask.logQueue(LoggingTask.java:104)
    at com.oobjects.kbroker.logging.LoggingTask.run(LoggingTask.java:145)
Caused by: org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connection to http://blade304:8080 refused at org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultClientConnectionOperator.openConnection(DefaultClientConnectionOperator.java:159) at org.apache.http.impl.conn.AbstractPoolEntry.open(AbstractPoolEntry.java:149) at org.apache.http.impl.conn.AbstractPooledConnAdapter.open(AbstractPooledConnAdapter.java:108) at org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultRequestDirector.execute(DefaultRequestDirector.java:415) at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:641) at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:576) at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:554) at org.jboss.resteasy.client.core.executors.ApacheHttpClient4Executor.execute(ApacheHttpClient4Executor.java:87) at org.jboss.resteasy.core.interception.ClientExecutionContextImpl.proceed(ClientExecutionContextImpl.java:39) at org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.interceptors.encoding.AcceptEncodingGZIPInterceptor.execute(AcceptEncodingGZIPInterceptor.java:40) at org.jboss.resteasy.core.interception.ClientExecutionContextImpl.proceed(ClientExecutionContextImpl.java:45) at org.jboss.resteasy.client.ClientRequest.execute(ClientRequest.java:473) at org.jboss.resteasy.client.ClientRequest.httpMethod(ClientRequest.java:704) at org.jboss.resteasy.client.core.ClientInvoker.invoke(ClientInvoker.java:104)
    ... 6 more
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:351)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:213)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:200)
at org.apache.http.conn.scheme.PlainSocketFactory.connectSocket(PlainSocketFactory.java:123) at org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultClientConnectionOperator.openConnection(DefaultClientConnectionOperator.java:133)
    ... 19 more

I've breakpointed the execute call in the ApacheHttpClient4Executor class and it appears to be using my HttpClient with my parameters set. But the timeouts & retries don't match what I've set. Does anyone have any clues on what else I could try? I've been banging my head against this problem all day and I'm not getting any further. Could there be something else that's possibly resetting my client?

Cheers for any input,
Lee