Yeah, docs fell through the cracks on that:

org.jboss.resteasy.util.BasicAuthHelper

org.jboss.resteasy.client.jaxrs.BasicAuthentication

You can use the filter if the same user is invoking in separate threads.
  Otherwise you'll have to generate the header per request.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat