So, one of the paths I was going down used MultipartFormDataOutput, and I found
that did seem to be working (there were some errors on the consuming side of my
client that I was able to get resolved today.) So, that part is pretty happy.
Now I'm just trying to move an image over, and I'm pretty sure this is just
some minor communication issue with the service I'm consuming.

In case anybody has any great insights here (and as I've started this thread),
I'm getting the image directly on my resource as a image/png, as an input
stream. I'm simply doing:
multipartoutput.addFormData("file", inputStream,
MEDIA_TYPE.APPLICATION_OCTET_STREAM_TYPE);
when I add it to the data to send off.

-Tom