Couldn't you, in theory, just share out "/" as an appletalk/smb share
(platform-dependent), and tell Retrospect to back up that network
share?

Then, in theory, if you had to restore it, you reinstall, share it
out and let it dump it back out on the share.  The only potential
problem I could see there is that ownership/permissions might not
survive (which would, indeed, suck).

I'm not a big fan of the method you're describing, but if the
permissions/ownership problem exists, its the only currently existing
way of dealing with it.

(Of course, if anyone from Dantz is listening, a Linux client would
be spiffy-cool!)