I'm either on a different planet or not understanding this exchange.
I have been using Retrospect 4.3 to backup 6 Macintosh Graphics
Workstations to a 40GB ATA Drive on a B&W G3 since October 1st. The
"Backup Set" file size for each machine is well in excess of 2GB (the
primary Photoshop Scanning Station Mac's "Backup Set" file  is 14GB).
I incrementally add to the Backup Sets each night and have done a few
restores to cover inadvertently trashed files. While this method is
supplemented with a VXA Tape Drive for off-site and archival copies,
the speed and simplicity of backing up to and restoring from a large
Hard Drive has been wonderful the past few months.

--
Thomas D. Miller
BMC West Corporation

Phone: 208 331 4369