I agree, my question isn't exactly related to reviewboard and I should
have been more specific. The vcs in this use-case is Subversion.
Having multiple subversion checkouts might be a solution but suffers
from a lot of overhead too. Thanks for the hint about the patch-
management system Quilt, I'll definitely look into that.

I am wondering what "good development practices" evolved out of using
Subversion and Review Board.

Cheers,
Tino