A couple more questions. I'm playing around with a couple possible fixes,
but need to find out more where the bottleneck is. Clearly it's
browser-side, but the question is whether it's the fact that there's a lot
in the DOM or whether the rendering is the slow part.

1) Is the page still slow once it fully loads?

2) Can you install the Firebug extension for Firefox and, in the console,
type the following:

    $(".review .body").hide()

And see if the page is now faster to interact with? (All the reviews will be
hidden until you reload, so this is clearly not a fix by itself, but will
tell us whether the bottleneck is the DOM or the rendering).

3) Are these comments spread across many reviews? Or does a single review
usually have enough comments to cause problems by itself?