So it's really going to depend on the sizes of the individual files
themselves. If a file is by itself large enough to cause a couple meg diff
to be generated, there's nothing we can do really do, since that boils down
to too large a file to show in the browser.

In your page 3 example, how big are the files and the diffs in particular?

The page itself loads quick enough, right? It's just the diff fragments?
Which ones are you finding takes a long time and how big are those changes?