In addition to verifying a Python 2.6 install, I went through and
reinstalled Memcached, libmemcache and cmemcache, but memcached is
still grayed out in rb-site install.

I noticed there's a patch for libmemcache on the cmemcache site.
Here:
http://gijsbert.org/downloads/cmemcache/libmemcache-1.4.0.rc2.patch

Is that in any way related to my issue (note: I didn't apply it when I
built libmemcache).

Thanks,
Eric