Wow, thanks for all the detail! I'll definitely give this a shot on Monday!
Some inline comments:

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Christian Hammond <chip...@chipx86.com>wrote:

> The possible bottlenecks I can think of are:
>
> 1) Fetching the file from the repository

Seems not to be the issue (if the repository's logs can be trusted).

> 2) Performing the diff between the original file and the patched file

Seems quite possible. This would, I expect, be the first thing to care about
the file contents, no?

> 3) Applying syntax highlighting.

Does this get done to the entire file or only the difference sections that
are shown initially?

> What file type was it?

It's some sort of text file that looks to be a sort of manifest. I'm not too
familiar with the project that owns it, sadly, but it does appear to be
plain text except for the leading BOM.

> We haven't tested with files containing a BOM. It's possible something
> breaks from it. We'd have to test it.

I wouldn't have even mentioned it, but I happened to have come across an
OpenGrok issue with BOMs that my predecessor had been tracking and it made
me wonder.

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Aaron Sherman <a...@ajs.com> wrote:
>
>> We have an RB instance with a Perforce back-end. We see some log
>> entries that suggest VERY long response times for diffs. Now, to be
>> fair, these are very rare, but they seem to be centered on reviews
>> that are tied to many-thousand-line diffs. On the Perforce server
>> logs, we don't see these long times anywere. In fact, every request
>> from RB is serviced in a few seconds at most. Meanwhile I've seen 20
>> minute response times on some requests such as this one:
>>
>> 10.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [29/Mar/2010:09:25:16 -0700] "GET /r/138017/diff/
>> HTTP/1.0" 200 391661
>>
>> So, what I'm wondering is:
>>
>> * Is there a good way to track this sort of thing down?
>> * If the revision control system isn't seeing this, what's a likely
>> culprit?
>> * When does RB talk to the revision control system?
>>
>> I did visit these reviews myself, and the first time, it did hang on
>> reproduce that since. The two files it hung on were both quite large
>> and (I have no idea if this is relevant) contained a leading BOM
>> marker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark); would that
>> cause any problems?

>> http://www.reviewboard.org/donate/
>>

>  --