Yeah, you're doing things the hard way. You really should follow the
installation instructions and use easy_install.

If you can't download because you're behind an HTTP proxy, you can first do:

    $ sudo -s
    $ export http_proxy=http://youproxy
    $ easy_install -U ....

If you can't access the outside world at all from that box, and you have to
download *something*, go download the egg files, not the tarballs, and then
put them all in the same directory. Then try:

    $ sudo easy_install -f /path/to/your/downloaded/eggs -U ....

As for the freetype problem, install the Ubuntu python-imaging package.