master has code from release-1.6.x merged in, but there's a lot that's been
going on there that isn't on the 1.6.x branch.

Now that we're out of the woods with GitHub, and have some other big
changes finishing up, my goal is to finally get a 1.7 beta out before long.
Just a couple tasks left before we can really do that.