I've done some debug today by hacking inside the scmtools/clearcase.py
file. I have 30 years of experience in C/C++/Perl, but my python is weak. I
did manage to sprinkle enough logging.debug statements around to determine
that the ClearCaseTool._get_view_type method is getting no output from the
"cleartool lsview -full -properties -cview" command.

After the call to p.communicate and p.poll, I've inserted:
       logging.debug("failure is (" + str(failure) + ") result is (" + res
+ ") error is (" + error + ")")

The resulting debug log shows
       DEBUG = failure is (0) result is () error is ()

So the Clearcase command is returning a 0 exit status, but no results were
returned on the stdout or stderr pipes.

The results from there on out are catastrophic....

Jay