Hi Stephen,

Whitespace for indentation has never been shown for most files, regardless of
that setting. That's just due to how we've always generated diffs.

During diff generation, indentation changes are ignored. The intent was to
prevent a block of indentation changes from showing up as a bunch of modified
lines or, worse, deleted/added lines, distracting from the content of those
reviews.

All other whitespace changes are then let through (trailing whitespace,
whitespace within the line), and lines containing just that are assigned a
class. The "Show/Hide Extra Whitespace" toggle then just changes the visibility
of any chunks containing these classes. It doesn't regenerate the diff or
anything. The goal of this feature is to make code review easier when the file
contains lots of whitespace cleanup, but not to show indentation.

So, they're noticing this for the first time. It has never been any different,
out of the box.

This can be disabled in an installation, though. You can include *.py files in
"Show all whitespace for:" list in the Diff Viewer Settings in the Admin UI,
and we'll stop ignoring leading whitespace on lines.

Can this all be better? Yes. What I'd love is to have the diff generation be
much smarter and say "This line hasn't changed except for the indentation," and
then mark that up differently. There's a lot of work that would be needed,
though. Something to put on the increasingly large TODO list.