Hi,

I have been investing some time to rebuild the latest beta of redhat RHEL 3,
taroon, with very good results. I am building on a taroon host, while
getting used to the different aspects of the problems that arise.

status : everything but the following packages

emacs-21.3-4.src.rpm
lilo-21.4.4-22.src.rpm
openoffice-1.0.2-4.src.rpm
php-4.3.2-7.ent.src.rpm

builds fine (after investing some time of course) : emacs builds fine on
RH9, this is confirmed to be a kernel bug on taroon that doesn't allow emacs
to build; lilo also builds on RH9 and the in bugzilla I already got a
response that they have fixed this internally. php doesn't build, failing on
some internal unicode test, and openoffice expects some mozilla stuff to be
present in the system - I will have to investigate on these

build time : everything takes about day and a half to build on a P4 2.4 .

Now, since the AS and WS are the same codebase, there are only around 30
packages that are unique to each one of them (as has some servers, like ftp,
tux, kerberos) and WS has some desktop programs (like openoffice, gimp, cd
burning), I wonder if I should try to rebuild each one separately, or merge
them into one distro and treat it like one. of course , the future goal Os
to strip it of redhat-copyrighted stuff and make it freely distributable.

what do you say ?

P.S. I would be glad to discuss details with people who already work on
building RHEL 3, so we wouldn't do the same work twice.

Alex.

rhel-rebuild mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hosted at the University of Innsbruck, Austria