On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Jed Donnelley wrote:

> We have the cAos work, the White Box build, and certainly other work all
> towards a RH enterprise "rebuild".  From the discussions it seems quite
> clear that this "rebuilding" business is nontrivial, with a fair amount of
> work going into making the packages actually build - on some system.

Yes!

> What I wanted to ask some of those involved is how much more work it might
> seem to them to be able to build and distribute a system that would
> ACTUALLY BUILD with no problems, gotchas, etc. ON ITSELF?

<snip>

> I'm thinking that essentially marketing a rebuild with this added value
> (builds on itself from source RPMs!) would add appeal and draw attention to
> such a rebuild distribution.  That added value might make it more of a
> gathering point (I'm looking for a new Linux "sweet spot" to replace Redhat
> who seems to have abandoned the position to make a profit) for Linux
> distributions.

Greg (cAos) will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is one of the
goals of cAos, though that might not be obvious from the web site and existing
discussions/docs.

> One concern I have is that such an effort might in some ways compromise the
> Redhat compatibility.  If changes had to be made to make a particular
> package build on the system itself, then might it be that future errata
> distributed by Redhat would no longer work as updates?  Still, it might
> also serve as a justification for a fork in the road point to a new sweet
> spot distribution (e.g. as per some of the initial cAos goals).

That is, indeed, a concern.  I believe cAos is a fork in that respect.

Later,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
You used to have to reboot the Windows 9.x series every couple of days
because it would crash.  Now you have to reboot Windows 200x or XP every
couple of days because of a patch.  How is that better or more stable?

rhel-rebuild mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hosted at the University of Innsbruck, Austria