On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 09:02, David Cox wrote:
> It has been quiet here.   I was hoping this list would produce the
> definitive HOWTO for rebuilding RHEL, rather than another distro.
>
> I've had success on my rebuilds following the whitebox docs, and looking
> through some of the scripts in taolinux.   And the lack of discussion
> here makes me think others are succeeding as well.  Is there interest in
> writing a common howto?
>
> I have a list of rpms I think is minimal (mostly -devel's) that are
> required to turn RHEL into a buildhost and some anecdotes on certain
> builds (emacs links to Xaw instead of Xaw3d if built as non-root, at
> requires /usr/sbin in the builders PATH, etc.)  However, some of the
> process is  a black box to me, particularly the last mile( I haven't
> made iso's), So I'd rather to contribute to a HOWTO than author one...

Well, I would be happy to host something like this on the Tao Linux
site; I think a 'package building tips' and 'final mile' howto would be
most beneficial.  I've gone ahead and added a 'Do-it-yourself HOWTO'
section at: http://taolinux.org/?q=node/view/31

I'll start working more on this pretty soon; I've already written up a
little on creating a GPG key and signing packages.  If folks will send
me 'packaging tips' in e-mail with subject [PT] (whatever), I'll collect
these and put them on the packaging tips page.

Note that I don't have a _lot_ of time for this - I'm working on Thin
Client extensions for Tao, and between that and my real job, I'm pretty
busy.  Still, I'll try to make time when I can (like, when I need a
break from the above. ;-)

regards,
        David