Hi folks,

I have a particular process which is very latency sensitive (in the
milliseconds range). The network team has determined the
response/round-trip time between their monitoring device and that
particular process can go up to 4x above the norm. Looking through all
sorts of standard linux commands and output from monitoring tool
(Nagios), I can see the CPU usage never exceeds more than 20% and
app/user memory usage was below 50% during the so called slowness
windows.

This issue pops up only a handful of times each day and since it is
very transient in nature, it is extremely difficult to determine what
is causing this intermittent slowness. Any idea what sort of tools
might be able to help me pinpoint the issue?

The users are not complaining about other processes running on the
same server because those other processes are comparatively not that
latency sensitive.

I am running RHEL 5.7 (64bit) with kernel revision  2.6.18-274.3.1.el5.

Thanks in advance,
Win