From: rhelv5-list-boun...@redhat.com [mailto:rhelv5-list-boun...@redhat.com] On
Behalf Of John Haxby
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:22 AM
To: Srija; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (Tikanga) discussion mailing-list
Subject: Re: [rhelv5-list] Regarding sparse file

On 4 January 2012 02:15, Srija
<swap_proj...@yahoo.com<mailto:swap_proj...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
Hi,

If the  file contains the sparse  bits then can anybody guide me , how to
remove those ?  For example
when I am checking file.img [ as below] , it's size is 38G.  Basically it's
size is 93G because of the sparse.

You mean you want to fill in the holes?

The easy way to do this, assuming you have the disk space, is with "cp
--sparse=never file.img newfile.img; mv newfile.img file.img".

You can also just re-write the file in place using perl/python/C/whatever but
that's slightly risky because if you run out of disk space part way through
you'll probably trash the file and lose whatever data you have.

If this is a virtual machine image then you can fill in the sparse blocks by
creating a very large file in the guest (cp /dev/zero /tmp/huge; rm /tmp/huge)
although this won't necessarily fill all the sparse blocks (it won't touch
swap, for example).

Why do you think you need to make the file non-sparse?

jch