This is very strange - has been happening the last few days.   I just
upgraded this system from 5.3 to 5.7 on Monday and the problem started some
time after that (but not immediately because I know I used yum Monday
evening after the upgrade)

I get the following error from yum, but it goes away if I --disablerepo=epel

The funny thing is that the listed xml file I can easily wget from this
system.

Also having the issue with other 5.7 systems that were upgraded from 5.3
several weeks ago and had been working fine since.

I did some googling and found some things to try like "yum clean all" and I
even deleted the rpm database based on advice from one site, and then
rebuilt it from scratch.  But nothing.

[root@solexa-db varlog]# yum -y install hddtemp
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, rhnplugin, security
http://fedora.mirror.nexicom.net/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
4] IOError: <urlopen error (111, 'Connection refused')>
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
epel. Please verify its path and try again

epel.repo has not changed in quite some time

cat /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo
[epel]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - $basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/$basearch
baseurl=http://fedora.mirror.nexicom.net/epel/5/$basearch
#mirrorlist=
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-5&arch=$basearch
failovermethod=priority
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL

[epel-debuginfo]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - $basearch - Debug
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/$basearch/debug
mirrorlist=
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-debug-5&arch=$basearch
failovermethod=priority
enabled=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL
gpgcheck=1

[epel-source]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - $basearch - Source
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/SRPMS
mirrorlist=
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-source-5&arch=$basearch
failovermethod=priority
enabled=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL
gpgcheck=1

#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/$basearch
> baseurl=http://fedora.mirror.nexicom.net/epel/5/$basearch
> #mirrorlist=
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-5&arch=$basearch

I just tried changing to each of these and got similar messages.

By what means does it go out to the repos?  Just via http?
Is there something that may have been implemented on corporate firewalls
that may affect this?
Odd though that it would only affect EPEL

Is there a timeout value somewhere that I have set too low?   Because when
I do a wget it takes some 5 to 10 seconds to connect.