Hi all,

the sshd on all our RHEL5.7 machines was reniced to 19 again yesterday,
and I still don't understand why this keeps happening.

I've seen this issue before several times in the past years, but this
time I was actually able to correlate it with an event. In this case
I'm pretty sure it was caused by the glibc update yesterday, which
restarted sshd as part of the update, and that then caused sshd
to come up as nice 19.

And taking a closer look shows that yum-updatesd is running at nice 19
(on all our RHEL5 machines):

root      5272  0.0  0.1  26508 10900 ?        SN   Jan11   0:00
/usr/bin/python -tt /usr/sbin/yum-updatesd

So I guess it's not surprising that that will then cause sshd to restart
at nice 19 as well, since it's started by a nice 19 process:

root     32459  0.0  0.0   7212  1064 ?        SNs  Feb13   0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd

Which in turn will cause all jobs which are run in remote shells to run
at very low priority, which is bad. :)

So my question is, why does yum-updatesd run at nice 19? Is this
a bug or a feature? I suppose one could argue that it should run at lower
priority than interactive jobs, and that's fine -- but then how do we
prevent sshd restarts from lowering remote interactive priorities as well?

Thanks,

        Horst