        From: rhelv5-list-boun...@redhat.com
[mailto:rhelv5-list-boun...@redhat.com] On Behalf Of Gerhardus Geldenhuis
        Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 9:00 AM
        To: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (Tikanga) discussion mailing-list
        Subject: Re: [rhelv5-list] strange DNS resolution or lack off

        Fair enough but then it should still be trying the first entry which it
apparently does not do which is basically my question.

         resolv.conf man page is not very clear...

                      timeout:n
                             sets the amount of time the resolver will wait for
a response from a remote name server before retrying the query via a different
name server.  Measured in  seconds,
                             the default is RES_TIMEOUT (currently 5, see
<resolv.h>).

                      attempts:n
                             sets  the  number  of  times  the  resolver will
send a query to its name servers before giving up and returning an error to the
calling application.  The default is
                             RES_DFLRETRY (currently 2, see <resolv.h>).

        It fails to mention what a valid and invalid response would be and how
if/how it would be treated as a failure.

        Regards