On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, Aaron Knister wrote:

Hi Vincent,
That's an interesting idea but unfortunately I don't think ZFS will allow you
to do this. The NFS exports of ZFS filesystems are handled behind the scenes by
zfs commands. You set the sharenfs
parameter on the zfs dataset and *presto* instant export. I s'pose you could
manually export them but using the zfs command is the blessed way AFAIK.

-Aaron

Hi Aaron,
My apologies, I read Derek's post too quickly and tought that RHEL5.8 was used on the server as well (you can get ZFS on RHEL5 using the zfs-fuse packages). If that's a real Solaris box on the NFS server, then I'll see if I can reproduce it here too (and maybe open a support ticket).

Regards,

Vincent