Hi,

i am just curious how you use such configuration.

I have setup a host to host ipsec tunnel. As here explained

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Deployment_Guide/s2-ipsec-host2host-cfg.html

It works and i can confirm that the tunnel is up.

My problem is: if one of the two hosts have to reboot, after that the tunnel is
not working "again". I have to reset/reestablish the ipsec tunnel manually
(ifdown/ifup and kill racoon).

Is there a way to let the two hosts negotiate the new keys and build the tunnel
automatically?

How to monitor the tunnel (right now i am monitoring via ping).

Should racoon refresh the parameters in a smaller time window (where/what)?

Context: This tunnel is used by the frontend system. If the connection is not
up (tunnel)
then the frontend app does not work anymore. Maybe it is the wrong technology
to secure
such connectivity. What do you use for such scenarios (e.g. higher level ->
SSL/SOAP?)?.

Thank you

LF