It turns out that what I did was *slightly* different-- I wasn't specifying
multiple default gateways, just adding rules to make a multi homed host
behave properly on multiple subnets.

I think this should do the trick, though, in your case:
http://kindlund.wordpress.com/2007/11/19/configuring-multiple-default-routes-in-linux/

YMMV

-Aaron