From:    Hanna Kawas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:        Jerusalem: Merry Christmas, Mordecai Vananu

Thank you to Mordecai Vanunu for exposing the Israeli public relations
stunt
about my hometown Bethlehem.
Bethlehem has been under siege for the past four years, its economy is
in
shambles, its land is being confiscated en masse, its children are being
killed, maimed or imprisoned, and an Apartheid wall is surrounding it
from
three directions.  Fewer than one thousand people attended the mass this
year, and Israel and its mouthpieces in the North American media talk
about
Israeli "generosity" for opening the city for one day (maybe less) for
worshippers to go to pray in the holiest place for Christianity.
What a sham and what a disgrace for those Christians who cover up
Israeli
atrocities against all Palestinians, be they Christians or Muslims.

Hoping the next Christmas will be merry

Hanna Kawas
www.cpavancouver.org
www.voiceofpalestine.ca

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: December 25, 2004 5:57 AM Subject: JERUSALEM: Merry Christmas, Mordecai

CPTnet
December 25, 2004

JERUSALEM: Merry Christmas, Mordecai

[Note: the following is an excerpt from a longer interview that CPTer
Jerry
Levin wrote up as part of his "From the Inside Looking Out" series.
People
wishing to receive the full report or to get put on Levin's direct
mailing
list may contact him at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mordecai Vanunu [is] on the verge of celebrating his first Christmas
among
friends after eighteen years in an Israeli maximum-security prison.
  --
"My very first Christmas, as a Christian, was in prison all alone,"  he
says. "I ask the governor of the prison to find a walkman radio  for me
so I
can hear the mass from Bethlehem. So he gave it to me."  But where
prison
cooperation in matters of faith was concerned it was more or less
downhill
for Mordecai after that.
--
Mordecai Vanunu was raised in an Orthodox Jewish family -- Years later,
after he left Israel to verify and expose its nuclear weapons program

So how do you equate the Gospel message with what you are trying to do?

"I want to take the nuclear subject, which Israel is still keeping
secret
--and bring it into the light.--

Despite his release from prison last April, Mordecai Vanunu is not
free. He
is still more or less restrained by official restrictions and personal
apprehensions to the only section of Jerusalem in which he feels safe:
the
heart of Palestinian East Jerusalem, where he is
living in the guesthouse of Anglican St. George's Cathedral.--

 [Recently] several car loads of heavily armed Israeli police wearing
masks
suddenly swooped down on  St. George's and swarmed into the compound.
"They
had a warrant to search my room. I told them, `Okay. Go search.'"

They took all his materials: tapes, DVDs, notebooks, his computers. And
they
took him away for ten hours of interrogation before letting him go.
Since
then all his materials have been returned except the computers. He says,
"-- I have no more secrets. All I know was published before they kidnap
me
in 1986."

"They can take my computers; but they cannot take my- email address," he
says with a grin. "I can go to any computer in any internet-cafe and do
my
e-mails. I can answer my friends all over the world. I am still
connected."

If that's the case, does he mind sharing his e-mail address so more
people
can be in touch? "Yes," he replies emphatically. "I am happy to receive
e-mails and to send e-mails. I want to keep connected to all the world,
keep this story alive, and to let Israel know that  they cannot silence
me
or silence my story. This is a good thing for me to do, because it is an
example to other governments that the people in this modern age have
much
more power now that they are connected. Because of that we can overcome
any
secrecy."

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year, Mordecai. Or better yet, Merry
Christmas and a happier new Year, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    -----
   / o o \
http://pnews.org/ (links)
http://pnews.org/PhpWiki/ (West Coast News Wiki)