Hi, Ryan.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Ryan Zezeski <rzeze...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this intentional?  It seems like odd default behavior.

Most databases, including Riak, do not write to a file every time you
do a GET, SELECT, or other query as appropriate.

This is because the additional disk I/O of an access log imposes a
performance cost that many do not wish to pay.  As you note, it can be
turned on -- but we believe that by default production users generally
are happier with it off and do not expect such a human-readable log
for database accesses.

I agree that the way to turn it on should be clearly documented.  I
would add that we should make sure that the documentation warns people
not to turn it on except in testing/debugging scenarios.

Best,

-Justin