If what Alexander is saying is true, what you would need to do is
create your own commit hook that would look for a custom HTTP header:

That hook would use that header to index on instead of the Riak
Object's value.  There are limitations to this approach such as a size
limit on HTTP headers and the header value would have to be on one
line.  I think that given that secondary indexes are usually small
simple values, the size limitation probably won't come up.  In
addition, producing JSON on a single line is easy because new lines in
string values are automatically escaped.

The worse (or best) part about this is you would have to write the
commit hook in Erlang if the current search hook is any indicator of
what the secondary indexes hook will look like.

Eric Moritz.