Perhaps I spoke too soon.  :)

'rebar compile' will nuke the ebin/<app>.app file.
Setting the {env, []} setting inside this file and then generating (or in
the srv/<app>.app.src file) and it does not get passed down to the actual
vm.

{env, [{gproc, "gproc_dist 'all'"}]}  does not work
{env, [{gproc, 1}]} does not work, trying to get it to just show anything

(I've tried variations of as well, but application:get_all_env() doesn't
show anything being set.

1> application:get_all_env().
[]

rel/<app>/etc/vm.args does not have a -env entry for these values.
rel/<app>/etc/app.config does not the values either.

I'll keep looking ...

Thanks,

-mox