That is correct, Greg. It's either determined by the key used to store the
object in Riak KV (given the precommit hook is used), or by a key specified
when indexing directly into Riak Search, using e.g. the Solr or the Erlang API.
There'll always be a key required, and that'll be used to look up the
serialized document in Riak KV.

Mathias Meyer
Developer Advocate, Basho Technologies