Elias Levy <fearsome.lucid...@gmail.com> wrote:

el> Please correct me if I am wrong, but after
el> reading the documentation and looking at a test system, it appears
el> that by default Riak will store data from different buckets within
el> the same backend.  That it merely treats the bucket as a prefix to
el> the key and as a index to the per bucket configuration data.

Correct.

el> Looking at the multiple backend example config at
el> [1]https://help.basho.com/entries/20186031-how-can-i-run-bitcask-and
el> -innostore-on-the-same-cluster it would appear that even if one
el> enables multi backend support one only gains the ability to select
el> different backend types, not different backend instances of the same
el> type storing to different locations.

Correct.

el> Even then it would appear that such instances of the same backend
el> type would have to be predefined in app.config rather than
el> programmatic created using the bucket properties API.

Correct.  That limitation can be removed by writing your own backend
implementation.  (Hey, it's just software.  :-)

-Scott