What backend are you using? Bitcask (default) or leveldb? What is your N val (3
default)? Do you have search enabled? The only change you mentioned would
result in a four fold decrease in virtual nodes per physical host. That would
be interesting to see how it plays out. I would imagine there would be less on
disk fragmentation with fewer vnodes per machine. Often in the end, the culprit
is disk io. There are backend specific tweaks that may be helpful. Riak
schedules compaction at different thresholds. Updating a bunch of records in
short order may be triggering that. Just some thoughts. I'm sure the Basho folk
will be able to offer more specific help.

Cheers,

-Alexander Sicular

@siculars