Hello Lei,

The Java client currently doesn't use the Solr API for search; It uses
Map/Reduce. Sadly there's no support for those solr parameters. The only way to
do it currently would be by adding phases to sort then reduce the entire result
set which isn't exactly optimal.

We currently do have plans on improving this situation on both sides. We're
adding new features to the protocol buffers API that will support the 'rows'
and 'start' parameters which I am hoping to get into the client "soon". There's
a bit of work there because it involves ripping out the old MR search stuff and
retrofitting the new, which is going to require a bit of interface breaking as
well above the old underlying PB client.  I may also look at adding the
solr-likeinterface to the HTTP side of the client after that.

Unfortunately I don't have a good timeline for you. Hopefully in the next month
for the PB additions is about the best I can offer at the moment.

As for help, we're always thrilled when other people make contributions :) If
you were to add in the solr API support to the original underlying HTTP client
it'd be awesome.

Thanks,
Brian Roach