Hi Eric,

Reip was deprecated because it had a lot of issues. For reip to work as
expected you need to take the entire cluster down and run the riak-admin reip
command on all nodes to reassign the node name in all the ring files. This is
obviously not what users want.

The 'riak-admin cluster replace' command was added for this reason. The
procedure to replace one node with another is as follows:

1. Turn on new node, start riak
2. riak-admin cluster join <node already in cluster>
3. riak-admin cluster replace <old node> <new node>
4. riak-admin cluster plan
5. Confirm pending changes are as expected
6. riak-admin cluster commit
7. The old node will shut down once it has transferred all data to the new node

Aside: The rate of transfer can be tuned via 'riak-admin transfer-limit'

Thanks!

--
Brian Sparrow
Developer Advocate